Sunday, June 1, 2008

So Much to Say

Another set of mini-posts:


Five Months Old


Ada just turned 5 months old. You've probably wondered why I haven't posted many pictures of her. It's because everytime I take a picture of her, it ends up looking like this:

Our camera has a red light that turns on right before the picture is captured and it always, without fail, changes her happy smiling face into a confused/concerned/curious gaze.

I finally figured out how to get rid of the red light and was able to capture her in all her gleeful glory.




Bath Time


The other day I walked into the bathroom and found Jennabee giving her baby doll a bath in the sink. It's a beanbag baby, but luckily it's not filled with real beans or it would be sprouting by now.



Home Owners

Joe and I are now home owners! His parents decided to buy a home out in the country (the house we rented our first year here) and sold their house to us. We closed on the deal last Friday. The kids are really excited that Grandma and Grandpa's house will now be called home. And I'm excited because it's the perfect house for us. It's big, has a huge, flat, fenced backyard (rare for this town), and is full of fun memories.


Wheat Grinding Woes

I have bought all of the wheat flour that I've been using to make bread until this week when I ran out of store bought flour. I decided it was time to pull out a bucket of wheat and give our hand grinder a try. The crank was SO hard to turn. After about 20 minutes I only had a half cup of flour at most and I was drenched with sweat and out of breath. I burst into tears and called Joe on the phone at work, complaining like a whiny little baby. I told him through sobs that we had to buy an electric wheat grinder because I couldn't get enough flour to make bread for our family. He patiently talked to me when I'm sure he wanted to tell me to just suck it up and act like a woman instead of a little girl. After my venting session, nine year old Joseph helped me grind the rest of the wheat that we needed to make bread. He didn't whine or complain, he just kept going until it was done and did a fabulous job. When Joe came home he explained that the adjustable texture setting was set too fine. I guess you're supposed to grind everything through really coarse and then adjust the setting finer and put it through again until you reach the correct texture. Maybe I'll give it another shot to see if I can get it to work better next time, but I'm thinking an electric wheat grinder would be awfully nice.

11 comments:

Starnes fam said...

Congratulations on being home owners! That is AWESOME! I can't believe that your baby is 5 months already! What a little cutie!

twoplustwins said...

That's so wonderful that you now have a house, and you're right - it will be perfect. I too get those calls at work on occasion, and learned long ago never to use any phrase such as "suck it up". No doubt Joe has learned the same thing.

tatum said...

wow, what a cute baby, and i am so jealous that you own your home. sooo soo jealous. i uderstand about the wheat grinder for sure, i want one so bad i have been searching ebay for a used one at a discount. it's hard to grind that wheat.

janet said...

LOVE Ada's expressions! She is definitely of the Harris mold!

hooray for your first home.. and how awesome that it already has fun memories AND a fence!

Don't get me started on wheat grinders.. good luck to you! I love Joe told you to buck up and stop being a baby.. that is exactly what my husband would say. Can't wait for my boys to grow up and develop some muscles so they can do everything for me!

NelsonPeople said...

She's a cute girl. Congratulations on buying a home. Good luck with the wheat grinding!

Marie' said...

Congratulations for becoming a home owner!
I am looking for an electric wheat grinder myself. Adrianne just let me use her NutriMill, and it worked really well. Loud, but nothing you can't stand. Scott's family has Magic Mill, and that is what I really want, but I haven't had any luck finding a reasonable one.

Maria said...

Congrats on the new house! :) How fun to have TWO houses that you have good memories at to be able to go to! (I realize that that sentence is not grammatically correct, but I'm too sleepy to fix it!)

Debbie Deerwester said...

Ada is already 5 months?? What a cutie. Congrats on home ownership. That's wonderful. Good things come to those who wait, maybe the electric wheat grinder is next!

Anonymous said...

Well, my nieces are absolutely adorable. Tell them Auntie J is coming to visit this summer. That is so exciting about the house...yahoo!!

The Reading Armadillo said...

Your little girl is adorable and she looks like all your other kids. I am just amazed that you were patient enough to use a wheat grinder. You are definitely a super mom!

Joe and Amy said...

Congratulations! (on the home) and so sorry (about the grinder) that looks like the grinder we used to bottle tomatoes and make spaghetti sauce, juice and salsa growing up. I put in my vote for an electric grinder. Good luck!