Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mixed Bag

I want to let everyone that Jennabee's doing great and thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments.

Here are a few mini posts about the past week's events.

Tough Love

Joseph and Grant missed their first baseball game of the season last Monday. Not because they were sick, not because of a scheduling conflict, but because they REFUSED to write the final draft of their one page Abraham Lincoln reports. All they had to do was copy their rough draft onto a new sheet of paper and make a few minor corrections along the way.

Once I teach the kids their lessons, they only have an hour of book work (max) each day, which consists of math, spelling, and writing. We can easily finish our school day by noon every day, but the kids usually drag their feet when it comes to the book work. In the past, I became frustrated nagging the kids to get their work done, so Joe and I made a rule that they have to finish their school work by 2 p.m. or they lose a privilige (sports, computer, etc.). When Joe came home for lunch at 12:30, they were still whining about the report and hadn't picked up their pencils to write a single word. Joe told them that if they didn't finish by 2 p.m. they couldn't go to their baseball game that night. You would think that would be enough motivation for my baseball obssessed boys, but the 2:00 deadline came and went and their papers were still blank. When I informed Joe that they didn't finish their work, he had the boys call their coach and tell him they couldn't come to the game that night because they didn't finish their school work on time. Then at game time, he drove the boys to the baseball field and had them apologize to their team for not being able to play in the game. (With Joseph and Grant gone, their team was a player short and they had to forfeit). After apologizing to the team they came home, ate dinner, then went straight to bed.

It was hard seeing their disappointed and sad faces, but I know I'd rather have them learn about choice and accountability now, while they are young. If they don't finish their work by 2 p.m. once more, they have to quit the team. They've finished their schoolwork on time every day since. I hope that means they've learned their lesson!

The Empty Bottle

What would you do if you found this bottle empty when it was full the night before?



I wanted to panic, but decided that would be useless and searched for facts instead. I interrogated all of the children and I found out that after opening the so called "child safety cap", Austin had swished and spit the entire bottle into the sink. No swallowing. Phew!



Dress for Jennabee



A few weeks ago I made this dress for Jennabee. It was my first attempt at sewing clothing (besides the ugly green and black checked pajama shorts I made in middle school home ec). This was such a fun project that I made two pairs of shorts for Jennabee afterwards (and realized I should have started with those). Next up is shorts for the boys, then a skirt for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way cute dress!!! I love it. That must have been hard for the boys, but I bet they'll be on time from now on. What a good mom!

twoplustwins said...

That sort of thing always kills me, but the kids don't seem to ever forget the consequences. I'm sure it's a good life lesson.

Anonymous said...

Love the dress Allison! SOOO cute! Can't wait to see what you make yourself! Hopefully something to go with your hot Albanian boots... :)

Marie' said...

I am sorry you had to do that. It is never fun.
There is a saying in Japanese that translates to something like, "Shape the iron while it is hot". I say that to my self over and over when I have to do things like that.

I love the dress. I like how you paired the flower pattern with a solid. Does Jennabee just love it when you make something for her? I remember sitting next to my mom with anticipation as she sewed my clothes, and I loved wearing the pretty things she came up with. I am so happy I get to do that for Asha.

Stephanie said...

Great job, You are going to be a seamstress in no time! I love the colors-perhaps I should get my sewing machine out and get my projects for Emma done...your starting to inspire me here!

Starnes fam said...

Darling dress! Great job! And I loved the homework lesson. Tough love works! You are such an awesome mom!

NelsonPeople said...

Totally cute! I've also been getting into sewing...it's fun. Can't wait to see what you do next!

janet said...

what a hard lesson for the boys to learn.. but it's SO true-- teach them while they are young!

and Jennabee's dress is darling! I had some successful days in beginning sewing class in school and that was the end of my sewing career. You are inspiring!