The soccer season ended this week. At Joseph and Grant's last game, Austin wandered away from the family and went the goal and started pulling on the net. We didn't notice he was gone until we heard gasps from the fans and saw them pointing towards the goal. There was Austin tangled in the net of the recently collapsed soccer goal. Joe ran out there and he and the ref tried to put the goal back together. But, one of the connectors, made of PVC, had snapped, so they ended up having to use medical tape to hold the goal together for the rest of the game. To make things worse, at the end of the game, I remembered we were assigned to bring treats and had forgotten to bring any. That's a BIG "whoops"! Especially because we lost the game and the kids were looking forward to the treats as their consolation prize.
Hans' last game was on Wednesday and he went out with a bang! Before the game I thought he was being a little too hopeful when he said he wanted to score four goals. But sure enough, he got his four goals! When he puts his mind to something, he certainly gets it done.
The last little bit of news is that we took Jennabee to the ER last night. She was riding on her little foot propelled bike (no pedals) while her big brothers rode their bikes. While they were riding, Hans crashed into her, causing her to fly off her bike and land on the side of her head on the pavement. Two of her brothers tried to help her up, while another one ran inside to get me, but she was so upset she pulled back from their grip, falling this time on the back of her head. I brought her inside and tried to comfort her. Within five minutes she was vomiting and afterwards almost immediately fell asleep. I kept asking her if she could hear me and she kept nodding. Joe came home soon after the accident, and after she threw up for the fourth time, Joe took her to the ER. She continued to throw up in the hospital, so they gave her some anti-nausea medicine. She had a CT scan done and we were relieved that it showed no bleeding in the brain. She eventually started to perk up and become more her normal self. She really liked her hospital gown, getting stickers, and eating popsicles. We were also lucky that the ER nurse is from our church and took extra special care of Jennabee. At about 10 p.m., the doc said she could go home and told us to wake up in the middle of the night a few times and make sure she stirred in her sleep. He also told us to keep her from participating in activities that could reinjure her brain for at least a week (wrestling, playgrounds, bike riding, etc.). Somehow I have to keep her from trying to tackle Austin for a WEEK! This is going to be interesting.
One thing the doc told Joe that seems kind of scary, is that Jennabee now has a 1 in 200 chance of getting cancer in the next 30 years because of her CT scan. Those chances aren't small enough to make me comfortable, but knowing that the doc still thought she should have the scan done, I assume it was worth it to make sure there was no trauma to the brain.
Adam's 12th Birthday
10 years ago
8 comments:
I hope Jennabee is feeling better. What a scary thing to have happen. I've never heard that about CT scans before. That's weird.
That sounds like a scary experience. The vomiting wouldn't have worried me half so much as somewhat unresponsiveness after the fact - even I would have taken my kid in. The CT does raise your risk of cancer, but you have to remember that the chances were not zero before she went into the scanner. Plus, if she did have something like an epidural hematoma that needed urgent evacuation, eventual cancer would have been the least of your worries. Bottom line: the doc would've scanned his own kid in a heartbeat. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Glad she was okay.
If you'd forgotten the treat at one of our games, Isaac would have never forgotten (or forgiven) you - you always would've been the mom who forgot the treats.
I am so glad Jenabee was OK. We know, too well, what you went through. I felt shaken up for quite a while, and blamed myself for not being able to prevent the accident from happening in the first place. Are you OK, Allison? You are a strong mom, I know, but if you ever need to talk to somebody, give me an email.
Glad she's okay, I haven't ever heard that about CT scan, interesting.
It must be Spring! It is time for Spring-time injuries! Ouch! I sure hope Jennabee is ok! It is always so scary when things happen to the little ones! As far as the CT scan goes, I guess you are, "darned if you don't, and darned if you do!" That was nice information to give you?! How comforting that must have been to get that information! Yikes! Hope all is calm, and all your children live long, happy lives!! :-)
Wow, you just got the award for going through the SCARIEST injury ever! Arms and legs will heal, but a brain is dicey. So glad she's ok! And your kids are quite forgiving. When I forgot soccer treats, it was a national emergency with an emergency run to the store and the kids waited!!
wow, that is a little scary, why do these little ones make us so crazy by worrying about them. they obviously need to come up with better tests to find things out withouth risks. poor little thing, hope her brothers are giving her lots of hugs and kisses.
Glad Jennabee's okay! Poor thing. The CT scan statistic was scary.. Taylor's had 2 already!
I love reading your blog because I can totally relate! It's nice that other parents go through these things and it's not just Chris and I.
Debbie
Post a Comment