Monday, June 1, 2009

Things That Make You Go HMMMM....

Joe has been in China again and just got back last Thursday. He'll have to write about his fun adventures some time soon.

While he was gone we finished planting the garden. Last week I was so excited when I saw little seedlings come up in the "green bean spot" less than a week after I planted them. I thought it was a little odd that the seedlings were so sporadically placed and clumped so thickly together. I was sure I had planted them farther apart and only two beans per hole. Oh well, who was I to judge how they decided to come out of the ground? The plants know what they're doing....right?

This morning I went out to check on the garden and saw several strange weeds invading my little bean seedlings. I pulled one out and quickly regretted it. The "weed" had bean halves on either side of the stem. Oops--I had pulled out one of the "real" beans. Those other things that I thought were the beans were just imposters.

So, what it in the world could the "fake" beans be? They were definitely not weeds. I pulled one out and noticed the remnant of a cucumber seed near the bottom of the seedling. It did look an awful lot like my cucumber seedlings barely emerging from the ground about six feet away. Sure enough, almost all thirty+ of the seedlings I pulled out had little cucumber seeds attached to them. Mystery almost sovled. I quizzed all the kiddos and Hans gave me a big clue when he said that he saw Jennabee planting seeds in the garden a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't help but smile when Jennabee admitted as much. She is such a sweet little copy-cat of everything I ever do. It's flattering and humbling at the same time. I want her to pick up on the good stuff and leave the bad behind. It certainly makes me want to have my act together at all times--especially while she is watching me.

I have since found random cucumber seedlings in various parts of the garden which I sadly have to pull out in order to ensure that the other plants have enough room to grow. It's kind of like playing "Where's Waldo" because everything is so young and green and looks the same. But, everytime I pull out a cucumber seedling I will smile and will humbly be reminded that my little girl is always watching and trying to be like me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet that she is trying to be "just like Mom"
Hope you can get everything sorted out before they get to big.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Well, I guess cucumbers aren't a bad thing to have an over abundance of! And this story might wind up in a talk some day, it's so good!!

Maren and Blake said...

You can't fault a little girl for wanting to be like her mom. You should take pics of your garden.

Marie' said...

What a cute story. I will have to come admire your garden some time. Come see ours, too. We got ours half way planted. It took some time to let the grass die, though. We should have listened to Scott's mom when she told us to kill it last fall.

Lauren said...

I chuckled out loud I thought it was such a funny story! I thought for sure it was Hans or Austin who did it, but turns out it was Jenabee!!