Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Speech That Changed Me

Eleven years ago, when my husband and I were newlyweds, my brother-in-law invited us over to his home to watch a speech called "The Proper Role of Government" by Ezra Taft Benson. Ezra Taft Benson was a former Secretary of Agriculture for President Eisenhower, but people of the LDS faith know him best as a former prophet and president of our church.

I used to be pretty apathetic about politics and government. I always claimed to be a moderate because it seemed like the "safe" thing to do; but in actuality, I leaned liberal because those were the only viewpoints I was taught in school and we never talked much about politics at home.

In the process of watching the speech, all of that uncertainty vanished. I felt like I was seeing things clearly for the first time and that I could never go back to being apathetic about politics and government again.

If you have some free time, I recommend watching this speech. Or you can read the text at your leisure by clicking here. It will definitely give you something to think about and it could be fun to start a discussion on it too.

3 comments:

tatum said...

i gave you cake advise on that post. hope you are doing good.

Mommymita said...

Thanks because I've been really struggling to process all the crazy stuff going on in government and the elections

I will read through it with my kids and see what they have to say.....because even 4 year olds have great insight sometimes and because there's not too many other people around here that have the patience to hear me through all my thoughts

Also, send me your email address again because my sister just emailed me her bagel process - I will forward it

Kersten said...

I can't wait to watch it!