The top three things I missed about California:
1. Cactus Cooler (Soda). This pineapple orange concoction tastes so good and I can't figure out why it's only available in three states.
2. In 'n Out (Burger Joint). I grew up with these burgers and french fries made from fresh cut potatoes. Eating them again was pure comfort food.
3. Family. I was born and raised in Southern Cali until I was thirteen. All of my cousins on my dad's side and my mom's side sarted out in California as well, and most of them have stayed there. It was so much fun seeing a lot of them again.
The top three things I DIDN'T miss about California:
1. Smog. I was in so many places that should have had fantastic views, but instead all I saw was a hazy gray blur.
2. Traffic. (no explanation needed)
3. Signs written in foreign languages. As long as I'm in America I should be able to read store signs without a translator.
That being said, I had a great trip. Ada was fantastic on the airplane. She only excercised her lungs once for a few minutes before the plane even started moving. The flight attendant walked her up and down the aisle once before she zonked out and she slept the rest of the time.
We arrived late Friday night and my dad and little sis LeAnn were waiting at the airport to pick me up. On Saturday I went with my dad's wife, Melanie, to pick up my other little sis, Lauren, at one airport, while my dad and LeAnn went to pick up my brother, Kevin, who was flying all the way from Australia, from another airport. Saturday night my siblings and I went to dinner with all of our available cousins.
On Sunday, my sisters and I made breakfast in bed for my dad for Father's Day, we all went to church together, and then headed out to my dad's new house to check it out. It's absolutely beautiful. They will be moving in next month. When we arrived back at his current home, my Grandma, aunt, uncle, and cousins from Saint George were there waiting. Melanie put on a huge spread for all of us, so we ate until we were stuffed and stayed up late chatting about Grandpa and catching up.
A picture of me with my sisters
Monday was the day of my Grandpa's funeral. He actually didn't want a formal funeral, so we just had a short graveside service for family and a few friends. Each of his children shared some memories and remarks and the grave was dedicated. Then we went to visit some other family members' graves before heading to my Uncle John's neck of the woods where we feasted on ham and funeral potatoes and visited at his house until late. My cousin Necie from my mom's side lived near so she came over for a little while and I was happy to get to see her too. Rodney, Lindy, and Tim, I'll catch you next time!
Tuesday morning I said goodbye to my family and headed home. I was a little jealous that Lauren went to Disneyland that day with my cousin, but I need not have been. The flight into town was so turbulent, it was more thrilling than any roller coaster I've been on. Ada loved every minute of it, laughing her head off everytime the plane dipped and rolled.
Joe and the kids were waiting for me at the airport with a big sign and candy. As great as my trip was, I was so HAPPY to be home. I came home wanting to shower my husband and kids with love. Going to a funeral reminds you that each day with your loved ones might be your last.
8 comments:
I am glad you had a great time with your family. It is always great to see everyone when it has been awhile and reconnect.
~Kim
Seriously, you should get some sort of mother award. Everytime I catch up on your blog...that is all I can think. Seeing that pic of you with your cousins reminded me of how tiny you are :-)
Sounds like such a great trip! It's always so fun to see how cousins grow up. I love hanging out
I'm so jealous you ate at In N Out. It is definately one of my favorite things about CA as well. Although...I did hear they are getting one in St. George!
Staci, they did get one in St. George shortly before my grandpa died. He had bugged the chain for years to put one there. We joke that he wasn't able to pass on to the other side until In n out came to St. George!
i love in and out burger too! =) i agree with the traffic, i was staying with my uncle once for a month and it cured my desire to ever live there becuase of it. glad you had fun.
It was nice to see you, and believe me when I say everyday I think about moving from California when a 20 minute drive turns into an hour!!!!
Beautiful pictures of you and your sisters.
Post a Comment