Friday, January 23, 2009

I Need Answers!!! (And they better be good...)

I just had an unexpected visit today from Joe and his boss. I had just finished feeding Ada, and as I put her down for a nap I heard the kids excitedly yell, "Dad!".

"Hooray!" I thought. I love it when Joe surprises us by coming home when we're not expecting him. I walked down the hall and my smile soon faded as my jaw dropped when I saw his boss standing there with him in the house. I'm pretty sure I gave Joe the look of death. I was still in my pj's (at 3pm) as were half of my children. We had not done the quick cleanup secret for two days because we've been really busy with schoolwork, basketball, and the pinewood derby which was last night. The living room was full of unfolded laundry that the baby had pulled off the couch and thrown on the floor, shoes, coats, school books, reading books, toys, and piano music that Jennabee JUST threw down from the piano.

The adjoining dining area had schoolwork and lunch (which I had not cleaned up yet because I fed it to them late at 2 pm--double bad mom whammy) scattered all over the table.

Did my husband stop there? No. He gave him a tour of the house including our back porch full of tons of boxes and junk that I keep throwing out there telling myself I'll tackle it when the weather gets warmer this spring. Oy Ve. Did you have to show him the porch, honey?

He also took him downstairs to the basement which miraculously didn't look as terrible as it normally does on Friday (I only make the kids clean it up every Saturday). But you can imagine what 5 days of playing down there must look like.

I always envisioned that his boss' first visit to our home would be when we had a few more of our home improvement projects completed, the house would be clean and ready for visitors, and my children and I would actually look presentable. What do I do now to help diminish this terrible first impression of our home?

I tried really, really hard to be gracious as they said goodbye (as gracious as one can be in pajamas), but I couldn't help but shoot Joe "the look" one more time before he walked out the door. I've already forgiven him, but I want some answers when he gets home!!! He knows I'm not a good enough housekeeper to be ready for company on demand. I need at least a ten minute warning bell before company comes. The biggest question I have is, "Why the whole house tour? WHY???"

I've got to go eat some chocolate to make me feel better.

8 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

I really can't picture you giving your look because I've never seen you without a smile, but that is a funny story. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who needs a 10 minute (or in my case at least an hour)warning. Good luck Joe!

tatum said...

haha! that makes me laugh becuase i could just picture it the whole time.....i would be mad too, men are clueless sometimes. =)

Marie' said...

Very funny, only because it didn't happen to me.
I hope you post a follow up story. I am curious to know Joe's side of the story.

Letty said...

Oh Allison...I'm so sorry! I think I would kill Rick. As for mending first impressions, I'm sure you made a good one by your mere presence. You are such a wonderful person.
The other question is, does the boss have kids? If so then I'm sure he understands.
I do think Joe deserves dish duty or something like that for the unexpected visit. You can tell him I gave you the idea.

Anonymous said...

I just hate it when people see me in my Pj's and Iam unexpected for it. I can't believe that you dealt with that and then still made me dinner, which was fabulous by the way. you are a saint, a great friend and the worlds best Visiting Teacher every!!! I love you!
I am so glad that you found my blog too. I am going to add you to my blog list if that is ok.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

1. I love your new blog header. 2. love, love, love your girls bedroom! I need your creative ideas here!! 3. I never get dressed on my days off so I'm totally spooked now! It sounds like you handled it all with grace. I hope Joe doesn't have to sleep on the couch too long! :)

Jana said...

Oh man! I hate it when that happens! People never just show up when the house is all clean do they??

Lauren said...

Hey, at least you look cute in PJ's right?