Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ready for School...Home School!

I spent the past month organizing the entire homeschool year for each child and we're ready to start next week. Joseph and Grant are in 5th grade this year, Hans is in 2nd, and I'm starting Austin in Kindergarten even though his birthday is two weeks past the district's Kindergarten deadline. He is SO ready and it would be silly of me to hold him back when he's so eager to learn.

For all those who wonder how I run our homeschool, here is a run down of my plan for the year.

Joseph and Grant:

Math: Saxon 65 (5th grade book). Includes a daily lesson and homework.

Language Arts: Learning Language Arts through Literature (5th grade book). This covers reading, grammar, spelling, etc... We will be doing a daily lesson out of this book.

History: The Story of the World, Volume Two: The Middle Ages. We have studied American History every year since J and G were in Kindergarten, so this time I decided to focus on World History. The boys wanted to skip ancient civilizations and go straight to the time of knights and castles. We're already having a lot of fun with this curriculum (It looked too exciting to wait until next week!). The ancient civilizations will have to wait until next year.

Science: The Kid's Science Book. This year we will be focusing on light and physics. Our science lessons are every Tuesday and include lots of experiments.

Creative Writing: Just Write! A book that encourages young ones to write creatively through different writing exercises. Creative Writing lessons are every Wednesday.

Journal: Every Thursday the kids will write a journal entry. We have a tradition of binding their entries every year and the kids LOVE reading through their old journals.

Art and Music are pretty random. We do art projects whenever we feel like doing them!

Hans:

Math: Saxon 2 (2nd grade book). He does a lesson and homework three days a week (MWF). The other two days are for practicing math facts on the computer, through flash cards, or on his Mathshark electronic game.

Language Arts: This year my goal is to drive reading home for Hans. He's really good at sounding out his words, but my goal is to get him to read fluidly and enjoy the subjects of the books as he reads. We will continue working through the Explode the Code workbooks. He is currently in book 3 and the goal is to get through book five by the end of the year. We will also keep focusing on phonics and finish the Happy Phonics program this year, which includes spelling lists.

History: I Love America is a curriculum I used with Joseph and Grant when they were in Kindergarten. Hans missed out on it because the past two years he participated in an Early American History program that I used with Joseph and Grant. It's time to recycle this curriculum for Hans and Austin. We have a weekly lesson every Monday.

Science: The World God Made is another one that I used with Joseph and Grant before Hans was in school. Just like the above history program, it's time to recycle it for the younger kids. It covers the 7 days of creation and talks about the things in nature that relate to that day. For instance, water, land, sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, etc. Lessons are every Tuesday.

Journal: Hans will also write a journal entry every Thursday.

Austin:

Math: Saxon 1 (1st grade book). The first grade book starts out so simple, we just do a couple lessons a week to get about a third of the way through the book and finish the rest in first grade.

Language Arts: The goal with Austin is to get him sounding out words and reading basic beginning readers by the end of the year. This shouldn't be hard because he started sounding out some words last spring. He is starting the Explode the Code workbook primers. We haven't even formally started school and he already does several pages out of his workbook every day without anyone asking him to. We are also going to begin the Happy Phonics program this year.

History: Same as Hans, above.

Science: Same as Hans, above.

Austin won't start a journal until first grade.

We start doing our schoolwork around 9 a.m. and usually finish between 11 a.m. and noon. It goes by really quickly when you are working with each child one on one. They do their homework assignments during that time, so that means they get to play and be little boys for the rest of the day.

While the boys are doing school work, I keep Jennabee occupied with puzzles, coloring, and toys. The boys also take turns playing with her. Ada usually takes a nap during school time or plays with toys while sitting on the floor nearby. Nothing ever goes as smoothly as planned, but that's the way life is. Somehow we make it through the rough patches everyday and it all works out. I love teaching my kids and learning with them.

If you have any questions you want to ask me about homeschool, now is the time to fire away! I know a lot of people are curious about my decision to teach my kids at home. My next post is going to feature answers to "Frequently Asked Questions".

11 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

I really admire how well you run your homeschool. I tried to do preschool with Scooter this summer and I was not very consistent. I like teaching school, but I don't know if I'd do a very good job with homeschooling. I get distracted too easily. I'm glad you shared the books you use, I want to look into some of them for my students, especially the creative writing one.

Allison said...

Angie, I hope the writing book ends up working out. There is a book 1 and book 2 for Just Write!. Book 1 focuses mainly on story writing. The website I ordered them from is called lovetolearn.net.

It's funny,I was terribly inconsistent when I tried to do preschool, and even Kindergarten with Joseph and Grant. But I realized that even with my inconsistency in Kindergarten, Joseph and Grant still learned more than enough. By the time first grade rolled around I was much more organized and had a good routine going. Homeschool really is a process. It seems like it gets easier every year.

twoplustwins said...

Allison,
it was great to read you outline for school. I always keep ready and willing to home school with Isaac but have not just yet felt it necessary. Every year I go into it with mixed feelings. I AM going to home school Eliza for kindergarden this year. She could technically start but I will wait for next year. I want to give it a try with her and see if I can really do. I might have to call/email you with some questions...and copy you outline:o). Any other info you have to share would be great!
~Kim

Jana said...

Sounds like you have a great year planned out! You are so organized! Have fun....my favorite part is learning along with the kids- I swear they are smarter than me!!

NelsonPeople said...

You are amazing! A couple of the language arts books you are using for the older boys are some that I still have in my collection from when I taught. I loved those. Thanks for sharing all of your information!

Valynn said...

You are amazing Allison! I can't believe that you are home schooling all of your kids...that's great.

We have some good friends here in Spokane that we hang out with. She asked me the other night if I knew you. Her name is Janyse...remember her from back home?

Have a great school year! :)

It's us! The Powell's said...

So good to hear from you. Are you living in eastern Washington? We should catch up sometime. Phone, email or smoke signals?
-Adam

Valynn said...

I think that is Janyse's maiden name. I have her blog under my friends if you want to check it out. There is a picture of her on parents blog the 'grandcrumps'. She is a great friend!

Baxter's said...

Just checking to make sure that you are still being Mom of the year...and well...yup..you never fail to impress me.

Debbie Deerwester said...

Impressive!! Connor has asked me several times to home school him and I told him I couldn't do it. He said, "But you're a teacher." I'm truly admire how you pull it all together. You go girl!

NFS said...

allison,
remember us? I checked your blog from rjjohnsons. Homeschooling? you make me sound lame and lazy. I could never do it. Having my kids home 24/7 would drive me insane. nancy fairchild-smith