Thursday, February 14, 2008

One of Those Days

This weekend one of my top two front teeth started aching. I thought it was just because I wasn't wearing my retainer enough hours in the day and my teeth were shifting. By Tuesday, I couldn't even drink room temperature water or breathe through my mouth without shockwaves shooting through my tooth. Talk about hypersensitivity. I went to the dentist yesterday, they took an x-ray and sure enough....the dentist walks in, takes one look at the x-ray and says, "I don't know why your tooth is dying, but it's dying." He asked if anything has hit it lately. My mind flashed back to a vague memory of one of the little kids sitting on my lap about a month ago and their head smashing into my mouth. To make a long story short, I needed a root canal. He said he could do it right then and I was more than ready because I really needed to be able to drink some water, my being a nursing mama and all. So I had the work done. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be, and I have had ZERO pain since, so I am thrilled about that. Joe was a trooper and stayed home to watch the kids for me, including the baby who was very hungry by the time I got home. Actually everybody was hungry because it was lunchtime. So I fed the baby, prepared some food for everyone, and not ten minutes after we had finished lunch, the day became even crazier.

The kids had been playing basketball in the family room (which is in the back of our apartment) while Joe and I finished eating. The next thing I knew, Grant was in the kitchen and calmly said that he and Joseph went for the ball at the same time, he landed on top of Joseph's arm, and they heard a "crack". My first thought was broken bone, but we didn't hear Joseph screaming so we didn't think it could be that bad. But a few seconds later Joseph made his way to the kitchen, holding his arm and holding back tears. While Joe was inspecting him he started shaking and his teeth started chattering. He was going in to shock. So Joe laid him on the couch with blankets and started the car to get it warm. In a few minutes they were off to Urgent Care, waited an hour to be seen, the x-ray was taken, there was a break all the way through the bone, and now he is in a cast. Luckily it was a clean break and not very jagged. Speaking of luck, he got three suckers while at the doctor's office, a Blizzard from Dairy Queen on the way home, homemade brownies for dessert, and gets to spend the next few days resting, reading, and watching tv. Oh, and did I mention he broke the arm that he writes with? That means no written homework for a while. Didn't it make you feel so good when you were a kid and got the royal treatment when you were injured?

By the time Joe and Joseph made it home, it was time for dinner. Those two events took up the whole day. I guess it was just "one of those days".



x-ray of the break

10 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

What a terrible day! Poor Joseph, I hope he feels ok. What a brave little man. I'm sorry about your tooth, that really stinks. But your pretty brave yourself, getting it done right away. When Armadillo needed a root canal he wanted me there with him the whole time! It was pretty funny.

Starnes fam said...

Ohhh what a nasty day! When it rains it pours! I hope everyone stays free and clear of Dr. offices for awhile! Hang in there!

Mom of five said...

That is some break. Sounds like Joseph was a trooper though.What a stressfull day that must have been.Glad to hear that your tooth is all better now.

Joe and Amy said...

Staci said exactly what I was thinking....when it rains it pours. Hoepfully now it will start raining and pouring unexpected blessings. Good luck!

Stephanie said...

I am sorry for such a horrible day...after reading this though, I am just wondering about the third thing...it seems(at least for me)that good things and bad comes in threes...hopefully it isn't the case for you! :)

Grandma Davey said...

What a day for you! Poor Joseph. It really stinks to break your arm, of course, the royal treatment and a while with no written homework kind of makes up for it! Glad your tooth doesn't hurt either.

auntie sheraden said...

oh bless his heart that looks like a pretty good break.

NelsonPeople said...

What a terrible day! I hope everyone is doing better now. I remember loving the royal "sickie" treatment....still do...

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Oh, that x-ray makes my stomach hurt! I can't stand it when my kids break stuff. And you probably needed rest after your root canal! Mom's always get the short end of the deal when it comes to rest!

janet said...

MY OH MY! What a day! I am so glad to hear your pain is gone... and I am sure Joseph will enjoy his break from writing!