Friday, November 2, 2007

Halloween

The Whole Gang

The Little Chicken (or chick)


"Up Up and Away!"

(We heard plenty of jokes about his head wound like "Someone must have thrown a piece of kryptonite at Superman's forehead!") My dad said we should have dressed him up as Frankenstein.

"Black Spider"

(we weren't counting his own legs as part of the eight)

"Construction Worker"

Are you looking for the ghost? Well he must have turned invisible when it was picture taking time because I can't find any individual shots of him. We'll have to see if Aunt Angela caught any on her camera.

We had a fun Halloween night. Joe's little sis, Angela, spent the evening with us. The kids had fun seeing their friends' costumes at the church "trunk-or treat" activity and all ended up with big bags of candy.

Then we headed out to a few of our friends' houses to say hello. We stopped at Pam and Gene's house first and they treated us to some yummy hot apple cider and gave each of the kids a treat.

Next up was Grandma and Grandpa's house where Uncle Jeff had prepared a scary greeting for the kids. He was dressed as a were-wolf, popped out of the recycle bin placed by the front door, and jumped out and started chasing them around the yard. The kids totally ate it up. They LOVED being terrified. Of course when Austin walked up to him, Jeff knew just what to do and pretended like he was afraid and started screaming and running away from our little Superman.

After calming down from the thrill of the chase, we went to see our friend Mark who lives down the street from Joe's parents. We had fun chatting with him for a few minutes and then it was time to go home!

The kids counted up their candy as soon as we walked in the door. Hans won with 113 pieces, although we ended up dumping everything into a communal "bribery" pot. They only get one piece of candy a day after finishing all their school work. I'm such a boring mom!


And my dreams have come true. I failed the 1 hour glucose test that the OB doc makes you take when you're pregnant and had to take the 3 hour test yesterday. I figured I wouldn't pass because I failed the three hour test while pregnant with Jennabee and had to do lots of finger pricks everyday, test my blood sugar, and control it with diet. I got depressed thinking about the upcoming holiday season. No raiding of the kids' Halloween candy, a boring Thanksgiving feast, and forget about any Christmas treats. BUT....


My results for the three hour test came back today and I passed! Now I'm once again excited for the holidays. Joe chuckled at me when I told him I was still going to eat sweets in moderation. He knows my sweet tooth too well.

8 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Hooray for a good pancreas!! I bet the treats will be extra sweet this season. I can't believe you're still holding strong to 1 piece a day rule after 5 kids! I've been beaten down into the free for all style, but the candy is gone after about 3 days so it's actually ok. Great creative costumes too!

Kersten said...

Could your kids be more adorable? Cute costumes!!!

Kersten said...

Could your kids be more adorable? Cute costumes!!!

janet said...

I love the little chickie! I am so happy that Jennabee will have a little sis soon.. it really does give me hope! and congrats on passing the sugar test... this is not the time of year to be avoiding sweets!

Starnes fam said...

Love the kids costumes!(especially the cute chick) I am glad you passed the three hour test. I had to take that one TWICE with Dallin! YUCK!

Alysia said...

Allison, Your kids look cute in their costumes. I can't believe Austins head injury. I am a nurse and I would have freeked out too. I am Happy for you that you don't have G.D. That would be rough durring the holidays!

NelsonPeople said...

The costumes look great! So creative...

Joe and Amy said...

So glad you passed the test! I have a major sweet tooth for home baked goodies. I'm always trying to deny myself, but it only lasts for a day or two, then I have to have my fix.