Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A crazy month

I just read Allison's post and figured I'd expand on our crazy month.

I picked up something in China, so was put on anti-biotics when I got home. I slowly started feeling better, but after a week on the medicine, I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible pains in my gut, I started thowing up, and shaking, and Allison took me right to the emergency room. Apparantly my kidneys were shutting down, but all tests done on me came back negative, so no clue on what was causing the problem. They took me off the antibiotic as a precaution. After 4 days in the hospital, my kidneys started working again and I got to go home. I never wish the torture of morphine on anyone. My recovery at home was very slow. It took me a week to get enough strength to walk around our living room. At my followup visit I got the news that my kidneys were funtioning normal, but now my liver was shutting down. So, back for more blood work, scans, and tests, and nothing was found. A few days later everything was back to normal, or so I thought. I went back to work, thinking I was in the clear, but I woke up a day later with a terrible sore throat and achy body. Back to the doctor, and it was strep throat. Three days of feeling like crap were followed by Hans and Austin getting strep. After they recovered, we thought things were on the mend until Allison woke up in the middle of the night writhing in pain. Another trip to the ER that lead to a couple day stay to try and flush out a kidney stone. She never did pass the stone, but the hydrocodone did help relieve some of the pain. Two nights ago Austin woke up with the throw ups sick, then yesterday Allison got it.

Allison was a little bummed by the throw up sick thing we got, so our family home evening last night was about how we are grateful for our trials and how hopefully we'll be stronger for them. Also, we thanked our Father in Heaven for all our blessings, that we are all still alive, and we have each other. Allison still hasn't passed her stone, it moves a little bit every few days, and Grant has started feeling like he's getting sick, so we're not out of the woods yet...but we are staying happy.

8 comments:

Louisa said...

Best of luck you guys! That is no fun to all be sick. We pray that you can feel better soon. Love ya!

Mari said...

Holy Moly! I sure hope you guys are able to ALL feel better soon! We will add you to our prayers! You guys are so tough! We sure wish you the best! Good luck Allison! I cannot imagine what kind of pain you must be going through. Joe, your experience sounded horrid! My goodness! Please get well soon!!

Lots of love your way!

Mari

Kersten said...

I'll never be grateful for throwing up. hee hee. I'm so glad you're better! We were so worried about you! And now Allison too! I hope it goes away soon Allison.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Wow, you guys know how to do it up big! How did you survive having all your kids with both parents tag teaming the hospitals? I have to say, this tops most all sick stories I've heard!! Please get better! You did not pick pleasant illnesses, and Joe, you need those organs! Don't let them shut down anymore!!

unevensideburns said...

I was hoping my brother would some day be able to go to China to get his custom paddle, but I am not sure about that now. We are glad you are over with the sickness. Good luck to Allison. -Marie

Joe and Amy said...

Oh my goodness, you have outdone yourselves. To have that all happen and to still remain grateful and happy is an amazing feat in and of itself. Now everyone just needs to get better! To say your life is crazy right now was a major understatement. Love, The Lee's

NelsonPeople said...

We hope you get feeling better soon! I'd say crazy is an understatement. We hope you have some good things happen soon.
the Nelsons

janet said...

Wow! What a month! Being sick really does make you grateful for the healthy days, but my oh my... you guys have had your fair share. Hopefully you are all feeling better soon! take care.