Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Oh Where, Oh Where has My Friend's Bottle Gone?

This afternoon a gal from church came to our house with her 9 month old son to go over a flute part for my arrangement of "The First Noel". It's to be performed this Sunday at church by the ward choir. The flautist helped me spice up the flute part in a couple of places and we finished in good time.

As she was packing up her son's toys and things, she realized his bottle was missing. We spent about 10 minutes looking for it to no avail. I knew Jennabee must have picked it up and carried it off somewhere, but I looked in all of the likely places (closets, under beds, the garbage, and the bathtub) with no luck. The girl from church seemed determined not to leave without it so I couldn't give up.

All of a sudden my mind flashed back to when I heard Jennabee crying during our rehearsal and found her in the bathroom with her hand stuck under the toilet lid. I didn't think anything of it at the time, so I pulled her hands out, washed them, closed the bathroom door and forgot about the incident until the "flashback".

Could it be? Yes, it was possible. In fact, I was certain. It had to be there. I walked up to the toilet and held my breath as I lifted the lid.
As I looked down at that cute little bottle floating in the toilet water, I had mixed feelings. I didn't know whether to shout out gleefully that I had found it or moan with humiliation as I revealed the bottle's location.

The one thing I was sure of was that the truth must be told. I can only sweep one embarrassing moment under the rug per visit and that was already used up when I saw her baby's mouth stuffed full of Jennabee's snotty tissue which I hurriedly extracted and discarded without his mom noticing. Yes, the truth about the bottle must be told. I opted to act excited about the finding, hoping my enthusiasm would spread to my visitor and keep her from feeling disgusted.

I immediately saw that the enthusiasm was NOT spreading, so I quickly apologized, fished out the bottle, and ran to the kitchen sink to give it a good soapy scrubbing inside and out. She'll probably boil it about 20 times before she will even consider using it again. And Jennabee will probably throw at least that many things in the toilet before she grows out of the "toilet" stage. I better stock up on disposable rubber gloves...(what? is that splashing I hear? Coming from the bathroom? NOOOOO!--Not again!!!!)

No comments: